US 466 was commissioned in 1935. It extended from U.S. Route 66 in Kingman, Arizona to the Pacific Ocean at Morro Bay, California. It passed from Arizona into Nevada. From the Nevada state line to Tehachapi, it cut across the heart of the Mojave Desert. The California segment of the road was decomissioned in 1964, but the road and the towns it touched remain today. But this isn’t intended to be the CalTrans history of the highway. It’s a collection of images of the sections of the highway that once formed the business districts of Mojave, Boron, Yermo, and the tiny towns between–a slow, meandering walking tour of the Heart of the Sun.